Student Internship Program – Client Manager
Applications open now.
Each year we offer a limited number of student internships. The placement will cover a wide area of the music industry and ensure that at the end of your time with us, you are fully aware of how the music industry works, are experienced in various areas and are employment ready. Our previous interns have gone on to gain a higher university classification and subsequently been employed by Universal, Kobalt, the MPA, ITV, The NEC Group (Birmingham), Teaching and other national companies.
During the year you will attend varied training events and may also have the opportunity to experience first hand work done by other organisations. You will also visit and meet with some of our store partners such as 7 Digital, YouTube, and Apple, and also some of our wider industry partners such as Metropolis Studios. There are plenty of training opportunities including those at the BPI, MPA and Music Connected.
Additionally, you will be given the opportunity to attend Midem. Through this you able to learn more about the A&R process to discover musicians you would like to work with and to hold meetings with top industry delegates while looking to get the deals your musicians are looking for.
This is an exciting opportunity for anyone interested in pursuing a career in the music industry. The placement will have plenty of opportunities in training and development, so if you would like to learn more about working in the music industry please apply and gain hands-on experience.
Post: University Gap Year Work Placement
Post Title: Client Manager
Hours Per Week: 6 Hours per day, Monday to Friday (10:00 till 16:30).
Application Method: Pre recorded covering video or a covering letter along with your CV Further information here
Feel free to choose whichever option you feel most comfortable with, as long as you answer the required questions and also attach your CV.
University Requirements: Studying a music related course is essential. The applicant should be a 2nd year university student looking for a year-long placement.
Payment: £200.00 per month (expenses only).
Holiday Entitlement: 35 days (inclusive of all bank/public holidays).
Overall Purpose for this Post:
To experience the music business / industry, understand business and absorb as much as you can. Our focus is on digital music distribution, nevertheless lots of other relevant opportunities are available.
All work done is hands-on, working with artists or music industry professionals.
Summary of Job Tasks:
Client Managers will learn and be exposed to duties, which will be varied, and range from, but not limited to:
- Learn the distribution process from artist, to store, to consumer – including the handling of metadata.
- Develop your communication and interpersonal skills through liaising with clients.
- Source contacts from music companies to include in our monthly newsletters.
- Write blogs and give appropriate advice to musicians.
- Attend panels, networking events and conferences both in the UK and overseas.
- Network with industry professionals and grow your own network of contacts.
- Possible sound editing.
- Possible video creation / editing.
- Possible PhotoShop / InDesign editing.
- Social media marketing and maintenance.
- Possible organisation and running of gigs.
- Negotiation of deals with both clients and partners.
- Taking an active part in weekly meetings.
Crucially, if there is an area that you are interested in or would like further training in, we can help.
Desirable skills and qualities:
We are looking for assertive, energetic and creative people to join our team!
- Can work on their own initiative.
- Pay attention to detail.
- Can work to deadlines as well as a good time keeper.
- Enjoys music.
- Sense of humour.
- Good presentation skills.
- Enjoys working with other people and is a team player.
- Can communicate well with colleagues and clients.
- Able to listen to clients concerns and can remain calm and professional.
- Open minded and willing to give new things a go and not to give up if you don’t first succeed.
We have not listed lots of academic qualifications needed, however it is essential the applicant is either on a degree course program or is looking for a degree work placement.